Saturday, September 3, 2016

DTE Energy Foundations Trail in Waterloo Recreation Area

In June of this year, the DTE Energy Foundation Trail was opened in Waterloo Recreation Area near Chelsea, Michigan. Intended as the first of five mountain bike trails, the Foundation Trail is 5.2 miles near Green Lake in the northeast area of the park. Organized by the Potawatomi Mountain Bike Association of Southeastern Michigan and created with over a quarter million in donations from DTE Energy Foundation and $360k (and counting) from other sources, the DTE Energy Foundation Trail is the first mountain biking trail in Waterloo. Another loop is set to be opened each year until 2020. The total mileage of this project is to be approximately 20 miles. 

Having hiked the Waterloo-Pinckney Trail for the last 7 or 8 years, I am familiar with the area. In fact, when I heard that a new mountain biking trail was being created near Green Lake, I was curious and a bit anxious. Nearby Green Lake Campground is one of the highlights of the trip for me and I (as the selfish hiker) didn’t want the trail ‘ruined’ by the presence of mountain bikers. After a quick email, I was reassured that this trail would be completely separate from the WP. Having my fears allayed, I was now free to get excited about new access to one of my favorite areas of the park.

Over my years of camping near Green Lake I have encountered Sandhill Cranes nearly every trip, multitudes of deer, and often hear coyotes in the evening due to this area’s isolation from development. It has become a highlight of my trip and I have been looking forward to getting a chance to explore this new avenue into the hitherto inaccessible countryside.

On a sunny September day I set out of for my first experience of the new trail and I wanted to give a short review. I hope you enjoy and find this helpful for planning purposes.

I was a bit skeptical of being able to locate the trailhead, which is off of M-52. The easiest way to get there is to take I94 to the Old US Hwy 12 exit (exit 159) and follow M-52 north through downtown Chelsea. The trailhead (which is also denoted on Google Maps) is just before the intersection of M-52 and North Territorial Rd. It will be on the left-hand side of the road. The trailhead has a vault toilet and access to a hand pump for water. There is no camping in this area of Waterloo Recreation Area. The nearest campground is at Green Lake which a biker could access by getting back on M-52 and taking it south to Green Lake Access Road. It’s 1.7 mile walk from the Foundation Trailhead.

A helpful map
Be sure to follow the trail direction for the day







A comprehensive map (with trail features! A win in my book) is available at the trailhead.
Be sure to note the walking/riding restrictions for the day. There is a system arraigned so that hikers and bikers do not conflict with each other.

As I started on a Saturday, I hiked the trail clockwise. The trail heads south along a marsh before following the shoreline of Green Lake for the first mile and a half. You never get truly close to the shore but you can often see it through a frame of trees. After the first mile, the trail turns westward and away from the lake. It does get one last glimpse at the lake near a big oak tree (also noted on the map).



The trail heads south and west eventually overlooking a pond not far from Cassidy Road at about the 2.5 mile mark.

After about a winding mile long section through the woods in which the trial almost folds into itself, it emerges at “Cedar Bend”. The next mile is the best of the trail as it skirts along the edge of a stony hillside. To the west is a large grassy expanse of covered wetland. From the hillside, one has enough height to see the entire marshland. The scene would be a perfect for a sunset stroll. A few small ponds dot the flat expanse. Hikers should be cautious here though as bikers roll through this section at higher speeds than elsewhere on the trail.

A wonderful view of "The Sunset Coast"

The 'cairn' of Cairn Corner


After entering the woods again at the 4.5 mile mark the trail passes by several boulder piles and an interesting conglomerate rock before finishing the loop again at the 5.2 mile mark.

The start and finish of the trail



Overall, this trail is a classic example of the moraine-type landscape typical of the region. I would rate it as easy to moderate with no steep inclines of note. It is an interesting way to explore more of the undeveloped areas of the Waterloo Recreation Area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment